Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Thank You, Grilled Cheesus"

from gLee's facebook page 

Religion. It's a tricky subject to talk about...It can bring love, it can bring war, it can inspire. It does many different things to and for many different people. To the many characters on Glee, it meant all sorts of things tonight. And it was most definitely, quite the tone change from last week's anesthesia induced fluffy and fun Britney Spears hallucinations. Tone change, none the less, it was very welcome to have songs that really contributed to and developed the plot....And i really hope you brought your tissues when you watched because I clearly needed them. 

Tonight's episode began when Finn found his faith in a "grilled cheesus" sandwich. He felt connected with God as he found an image to represent his presence in the world. Although the title of the episode was "Grilled Cheesus," the main force bringing religion, spirituality, and faith to the forefront happened when Kurt's world was rocked by his father Burt's heart attack induced coma.  :( Not only did this crisis affect Kurt and his lack of faith, but all the glee-clubbers and their ways of coping and helping their friend in his time of need. Mercedes, Quinn and Rachel (?) all appear to be active in their respective faiths and in times of crisis, this is what they, as many, turn to. Whereas these characters look to God for guidance and love, Kurt is a firm believer that "God is kinda like Santa Claus for adults." He'd rather rely on scientific methods, such as acupuncture, rather than prayer. Finn's religious journey with his "cheesus" went from not believing, to believing, to realizing that we're all kind of just "floating around in space." I liked how Ryan Murphy and Co. used Puck to show Finn that religion isn't just something you use to get what you want. Also, Thank god it appears Burt Hummel will be ok after this setback. Tonight's episode brought a lot of opinions up, and showed the importance of being open minded when sticky subjects such as these come up. It really made you think and overall, i think that was it's purpose. So, Mission Accomplished, Ryan and Co. 

Here's some of my additional thoughts on what went down at McKinley tonight: 
- The softer side of Sue gets an A+ 
- Kurt and Burt = best. 
- Hello Academy of Television Arts and Sciences? Your repeat nomination for supporting actor in a musical/comedy at the Emmys 2011 is Chris Colfer. 
-"I want to hold your hand" --- Did anyone else's heart break during this performance? It was perfect. and the little kid who played Mini Kurt....I swear he must be related. Zap2it has got some scoop on the little one over at their site. 
- Corey sound phenomenal on the "Losing my Religion" track. 
- Yay! Mercedes and Puck solos! and Kurt for that matter...it's about time!
- Rachel's dramatic faces/crying while singing are starting to get to me. 
- Heather Morris, keep Brittany's one liners coming. They're gems. 
- More group performances please with sugar on top. I really enjoyed "One of us" but it was so short and I need some more group action. 

Quips of the night
-"I think you kinda owe it to him, you did screw him in the leg department" -- Finn re: why "Cheesus" should get the football team to win for Artie
- "I'm a total Jew for Jesus. He's my number 1 Heb. What i dont like is seeing people using J$ to cramp  everyone else's style. It seems to me like true spirituality or whatever you want to call is about enjoying the life you're given. I see God every time I make out with a new chick." -- Puck 
- "Brittany, Jugs the Clown; let's go" -- Sue
- "What up, Grilled Cheesus. I need to ask you something. I didn't go to Sunday school, so I don't know if God works the same as a genie and I only have three wishes" -- Finn 
- "Mercedes, you had me at fabulous hat." --Kurt
- "The big questions are really big for a reason. They're hard but you know what? Absolutely, everybody struggles with them" - Emma  

So that's it for the my glee recap of the week! What did you guys think? Did you like "grilled cheesus?" 
Is Chris Colfer not amazing? What was your favorite performance?

Next week on Glee, we've got some duets headed our way. Watch with Kristen posted a link to a sneak preview of some of the songs we'll hear! and they've also got some video and articles with scoop from Ryan Murphy on the rest of the season and a video of the cast talking about 'NSYNC (ah!). Be sure to check it out. 

side note: At least I've been kind of consistent in writing these! It seems Tuesday nights/Wednesday afternoons are when I have some time to get some blogging done so we'll see how much I can keep this up. Let me know how you're liking it! 







No comments: